We made our first robot in 2012. It was a huge success and won championships all over the world.
2013 was the second year we built a robot. Click for more details.
2014 was another year when we enjoyed a lot of success.
2015 Robot last year was not such a great success you can still look at it though.
We are building a working R2D2. Buy it.
Since its inception eight years ago, Team #2945 was a trailblazer in every sense of the word. Its host school, Manitou Springs High, had nothing to do with engineering. Yet there they were, a handful of kids in a tiny school, knowing full well they had no clue what they were doing but still willing to try.
Over the years, the team leveled at only about ten members, not much of a surprise considering how small Manitou itself is. Yet the change it made grew more apparent with each passing year - FIRST teams sprung up overnight in the middle and elementary schools, a robotics summer camp snuck its way into the district, teachers began to get approval for an engineering curriculum. Fast forward to 2016 - the student-led team is still going strong, all schools in the district have a thriving robotics team, and Manitou Springs High has classes in STEM, structural engineering, and even the newly introduced robotics. That's not something most small schools can say, and it's all thanks to the initiative of the Steel Mustangs.
We are not the biggest, or the strongest. We are lacking in numbers and resources alike. But we pride ourselves in our tenacity - even with our disadvantages, we have participated in the FIRST Robotics Competition every year since we began, and we always give it our all. We have paved the road for our district's robotics programs, and then some. We have sent our students off with a passion that has allowed them to start teams in new schools, landed them in innovative jobs and universities, and even return to us as mentors or remain a part of the team from miles away. For all our size, our accomplishments are nothing to laugh at.
Caleb Van Dale
Not many people showed up, but we started the field elements, finished one of the rhino tracks, and worked on the ratcheting gear box. Krona made progress on the CAD drawing as well.
The tank treads came today!The team split to assemble them, put together a CAD model of the robot, and work on the website. Fairly uneventful day, but we got a decent amount of work done.
Callysta finalized the competition/safety test today, so we all took it. Unfortunately, we also all failed. She also set up Moxtra, a team collaboration app for all of us. If you don’t have it, please download the app or register for an account if you’re using the desktop version! If you need to take the test[…]
We started the day off with a (somewhat heated) discussion about a public movie night. In the end, we decided on the Martian for our first choice, but this may not end up being the movie we pick as it is PG-13 and there are some complications with the school. Ideally, we’ll hold the event[…]
The group split into teams to tackle different issues – the manipulator cage, shooting subsystem, acquisition subsystem, climbing subsystem, electronics, and not robot-related (such as field elements and social media). While we did get a lot of work done, the scattered nature of it means that I can’t provide an accurate summary of everything. An[…]
Just about the same as Saturday; cleaning and reorganizing the shop. How exciting.
Today was fairly uneventful; we spent the time cleaning up and organizing the wood shop. Mr. Ryan went out and got a ton of plywood for the field elements, so we can start on those when we’re ready.
We had a brief discussion about the food situation. In the end, we didn’t come to a satisfactory conclusion, so as of now everyone’s on their own bringing food. We may come up with a rotation plan in the future. The bulk of the day was split between two groups – one working on the[…]
Today, we reconsidered our priorities in terms of ranking points. From highest to lowest, the new order is driving over defenses, shooting, climbing, and defending. We discussed the frame and dimensions, and concluded the best course of action would be a nanotube cage with internal shooting and climbing mechanisms. Finally, a few of the team[…]
We spent most of the day discussing possibilities for the robot design, and fleshing out details. The most notable accomplishment was a discussion about priorities – crossing defenses is our first, but as of today we had not decided on a second priority. Shooting, defending, and climbing were the three candidates. We concluded that we would need three[…]